Thursday, January 20, 2005

Don't get wedded to a hand

Holding As 7s on the button against a Js 7c 2d flop, I bet after the five players still in checked. Igot four callers, then saw 6s on the turn. Big blind checks, a few more checks, I raise (flush draw with middle pair gives me a lot of outs), and the big blind re-raises. Everyone else is scared out, but I re-raise. No way the 6s helped the big blind here; he's either bluffing or is on a second-best flush draw. Only pocket sixes would help, and he'd have folded that after the flop. If he had the Jack he'd have bet instead of checked on the flop or the turn. Big blind now calls.

The river is 3c, so I'm sitting on a pair of sevens with an ace kicker. Big blind bets. I raise to scare him off, because I'm pretty sure he's got nothing. He thinks a long time, taking up almost his full 20 seconds. I'm really, really expecting him to fold here, because if he calls, then it's probable that he has the jack but was scared that I had a big pocket pair.

He calls, my stomach drops, and... I win. As 7c 7s Js 6s.

Amazed, I go to the game log to find out what he had. He was playing Ac Ks, leaving him with Ac Ks Js 7c 6s. He'd gotten wedded to the hand, which cost him about $30 -- a mistake I'd made a few times Monday night.

I don't fold big slick nearly as often as I should. Not doing so can be a costly mistake.

No comments: