Monday, May 01, 2006

Sunday night slowness

Empty poker roomTo paraphrase Doyle Brunson, the best thing about online poker is that there's always a table full of players, ready to play any game you want. Whether it's 8:00 Thursday night or 2:00 a.m. Sunday, it's always game time somewhere. (Yes, I read his Online Poker. And yes, it's as bad as the Amazon reviews make it out to be.)

So imagine my surprise last Sunday, when I hop on to CDPoker to play at about 10:00 PM PDT, and there's nobody in the 25¢/50¢ rooms, and nobody in the 50¢/$1 rooms. No problem, I just played $1/$2 instead. You'll remember how badly that went.

So after losing half my bankroll last week, I took a break for a few days. It seems that when I go into a game thinking that I'm hardly qualified to play at that table, I tighten up, bring my "A" game, and do OK. It's when I'm feeling confident -- maybe even cocky -- that I have the worst nights. The couple of days off would give me time to sulk and get down on myself. *grin*

Last night, I hop online at about 10:00 PM, and -- again! -- nobody at the 25¢/50¢, nor the 50¢/$1. Having learned my lesson, I decided the only winning move was not to play.

I stood in the waiting list for the 50¢/$1 tables for about half an hour, but only one other person joined the list.

In the meantime, I ended up +$4 playing blackjack. Silly Ruleslawyer.

I've still got $30 in bonuses waiting, but they're really of no use if I can't play the games to get the points to claim them. I'm seriously thinking of moving to a busier network.

No comments: