Monday, July 24, 2006

Omaha hi/lo: fried brains, please

I've been reading up on Omaha hi/lo strategy, but my mind's just not getting it.

In my final hand tonight, I'm in middle position in a 25¢/50¢ limit game, and I'm dealt 3 4 4 3. Nice? No -- my strategy chart tells me this is a crap hand, and to fold it.

I don't fold it. I call the 25¢ blind, the guy to my left raises, I call, leaving four of us to see the flop.

T 9 6.

I've hit my flush on the flop. The big blind checks, the guy to my right puts in 25¢,I raise to 50¢, the guy to my left and the blind fold, the guy to my right re-raises to 75¢, and I call. He's representing that he hit the flush, too, and if he did, he hit it better than I did. I don't believe him, though.

The turn is 3.

I've got some kind of a full house possibility going on here now, although my well-cooked brain isn't able to figure out exactly what it is. My opponent bets 50¢, I raise, he re-raises, and I call all-in with my last 45¢.

The river is 4.

My opponent shows A 5 9 T. He's got an ace-high flush to beat my ten-high flush. I've got no full house. I've also got no low, so he takes that with his A,3,4,5,6. He brings in $6.50. I close out down $20 for the night.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Probably the best tactic that I have found for playing a omaha poker game is to not get too drawn into when you get a A2xx. A lot of new players who play omaha hi lo online think they can't lose with A2 but in reality you need to have your A2 backed up with another low card and also a high card. So A29J is a bit rubbish and probably only worth playing a small amount of the time.